A variety of home items and medications to avoid in the recovery process from alcohol addiction and addiction to drugs. Some of these items might seem harmless. However, for an addict, those same items can provide a source of pleasure that could trigger cravings, and cause relapse. Alcohol Rehab Places Seattle can help you that which Medications & which items you use daily to avoid addiction recovery.
Vulnerability in the Early Recovery Phase How to Reduce Risk
The first phases of recovery are the ones when people tend to be the most vulnerable. It is still a process to learn to lead a clean way of life and are working towards improving their health and developing efficient ways to cope with cravings and triggers.
If there are temptations at their home It is easy to become distracted and lose sight of the goal. For instance, they may recall your “glory times” of substance misuse and how much amusement they had without being aware of the harm their drug use could have caused.
In addition, they no are longer in the same structured environment they had while in rehabilitation. Instead, they must face everyday problems just like everyone else. However, for those in early recovery, the extra stress created by everyday struggles can be overwhelming and lead to slip-ups as medications and daily things are easily available within the home. This is why it’s crucial to ensure that the home you or someone you love to return to is free of any alcohol, drugs, or other substances that may be used to treat addiction.
Medications to Avoid in Early Recovery
Certain prescriptions and medications that are available over the counter must be avoided during recovery, as they could lead to dangerous consequences which include the possibility of relapse. The last thing that a recovering patient wants is to erase all the hard work, therefore it is essential to be aware of which drugs to stay away from.
Certain prescription medications must be avoided due to their dependency, which includes:
Over the Counter Medications
There are also some over-the-drug products you’ll want to stay clear of while recovering for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Any type of nighttime or sleeping medication.
- Cough syrups containing Dextromethorphan (DMX)
- Any liquid medication that contains alcohol, such as NyQuil, ZzzQuil, Robitussin, Vicks, and Halls.
- Decongestants and anti-allergy medicines, sinus and cold medications which contain Pseudoephedrine.
- Motion sickness medicines containing Dimenhydrinate.
Before you begin a prescription or prescription medication, it’s important to inquire with Alcohol Rehab Places Seattle an Alcohol Treatment Program in Seattle, Washington whether the medication is addictive. If it is, it is best to ask them to prescribe or suggest a different drug. There are prescriptions and over-drug products, you can utilize to help you recover. Examples include:
- High Blood Pressure Medicines
- High Cholesterol Medicines
- Treatment for mental health/behavior
Everyday Items to Avoid in your recovery
Apart from the numerous medications you may need to avoid in recovery, there are other everyday items that you’ll want to get rid of from your home in order to prevent any lapses like:
- Alcohol There should be no alcohol inside the home to avoid any temptation to drink.
- Mouthwashes containing Alcohol –Many types of mouthwash have alcohol in them, so get rid of these and replace them with alcohol-free alternatives.
- InhalantsInhalants are a broad range of products, including spray paints made of rubber and nail polish remover model glue, and butane. Even whipping cream contained in aerosol cans is an inhalant.
- Spices/Seasonings/Herbs – Most extracts contain ethanol or alcohol, including vanilla extract and almond extract. Certain herbs have sedative or stimulant properties, including St John’s Wort and Valerian root.
- Hand Sanitizer Many hand sanitizers contain alcohol, so they should be replaced with alcohol-free products.
- Aftershave/Cologne/Perfume – Many of these products use ethanol for their base, so they should be removed from the home.
- Deodorizers and air fresheners and Deodorizers Many of these items contain the chemical nitrites (poppers) that can be a cause of misuse.
While most everyday items can appear to be not as dangerous as misusing alcohol or drugs but it is crucial to keep in mind that these products can be more accessible. Additionally, misuse of household items can be extremely risky and could result in accidental overdoses, or death. If you need help with your alcohol addiction, find the Best Private Alcohol Treatment Center in Seattle. Alcohol rehab places in Seattle connect you with top-rated private alcohol rehab facilities across Seattle that have rehabilitation & treatment options for alcohol addiction.
What happens if someone at Home Needs Medication?
When a family member needs a prescription or prescription medication that is best avoided it is best to lock the medication in a lock box or other safe location to remove any sort of attraction. They should also avoid taking the medications around them.
Besides eliminating all temptations from the home, your family should be ready to alter certain practices where alcohol or drugs were prevalent in the past. Instead, you and your family should explore new hobbies and activities which promote a clean and healthy lifestyle.